The importance of school governors.
The role of governor at a school is a vital one. Many schools are short of governors and are often looking for parent governors. This can be a very rewarding role and is vital to the smooth running of a school. Governors have great influence in a school as a group – including helping to appoint staff. Governors also have a key role in deciding some policies including the relationships and sex education policy for their school. Amongst the roles and responsibilities of a school governor are:
- the ethos and vision of the school
- clear and ambitious strategic priorities and targets for the school
- that all children, including those with special needs, have access to a broad and balanced curriculum
- the school’s budget, including the expenditure of the pupil premium allocation
- the school’s staffing structure
If you want to become a school governor, the best place to start is to enquire at your child’s own school or the school nearest to you. If they don’t have vacancies please visit https://inspiringgovernance.org/ which is a matching service for volunteers wishing to become school governors.
BY BECOMING A SCHOOL GOVERNOR YOU CAN INFLUENCE THE WHOLE SCHOOL
CLIVE IRESON – Director, Association of Christian Teachers